View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 01:25 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default ctownboy

1st....Hall of Famers elected to the HOF via the Veterans Committee (VC) is not something that you should diminish. Great ballplayers like Johnny Mize,
Sam Rice, Connie Mack, Vic Willis, Enos Slaughter, etc., etc. are in via the VC route.

I'm assuming that you saw Dave Concepion play and you favor him and that's fine. I saw Rizzuto play (on TV or at Yankee Stadium) during the Yankees
"dynasty" years (1949 - 1953).
All 5 of those years, Phil was in the running for the AL MVP award. He was runner-up (to Ted Williams) in 1949 and won the AL MVP in 1950. There is no
denying it, Phil was a significant factor during that 5-year dynasty.

Yes, I am biased.....Phil lived 2 blocks away from our home when I was growing up in the 1940's to 1950's. We, in the neighborhood in Hillside (NJ), saw
quite a lot of Phil. Back in those days, Mondays were usually off-days for the Yankees. Phil attended many of our Catholic Youth Organization meetings
on Monday nights at St. Catherine's school; and, spend hours talking with us and showing us pointers on playing baseball. Also, Phil would answer our
questions regarding some the great BB players of his time. I could go on with a lot more here; but, I'll spare you the details.

I'll leave you with this comparison......

7 seasons Rizzuto was in consideration for the AL MVP (top 20 ranking)

3 seasons Concepcion was in consideration for the NL MVP (top 20 ranking)

Don't misconstrue....I saw Dave Concepion play for most of his 19 years and I agree....he was a great shortstop.

TED Z

a.k.a. ......T-Rex TED