View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 09:12 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

FWIW, I believe they were real.

The graphics and styles were 100% consistent with other exemplars from the 1920s. I have seen about half a dozen pennants from this series... including the Brooklyn variation twice prior. All have sold for at least 4 figures. The 1919 Chisox Pennant of this style is the obvious "Kingpin" and realized $34,500 in Halper (Lot 543).

The materials (both felt and paint) were correct, and showed the expected aging/wear of pennants from this era. The grommets which secure the tassels were correct as well.

It does, perhaps seem somewhat unlikely that this style would span 8 years (1919 - 1927), but pennants from the 1920s are scarce, with not a lot of differing variations. For whatever reason, there are far more existing pennants from the Teens than from the 1920s.

Production seemed to pick up dramatically in the '30s and beyond. And for the record... all of those 1950s/60s "Stadium" variations spanned a much longer time period than the pennants in question here. As did a number of other styles.... especially the Yankees (Uncle Sam Head), Dodgers (Emmett Kelly Bum) and Indians (Big Nosed Chief Wahoo). Those three designs were produced for at least a 10 year span.

Just my 2 cents...