View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 07:03 AM
JD

Default Auction house problems

I know this is totally non sports related but does deal with auction house policies. I have been dealing with a local auction house for some time and have on several occasions suspected some foul dealings regarding workers hiding items and misleading uneducated to keep bids low so that they themselves bid on the items and win them for themselves. I personally don’t like that since they have time to scour though and research something much longer than the average auction goer. Last auction there was a VERY VERY expensive item that was but in a box lot of garbage. A worker was very interested in not letting what was in that box be seen the best he could and at one point held it in his hands for 30 minutes while acting like he was checking it over with the Auctioneer seeing exactly what was going on . Out of the 200+ people since I was there early knew what he was concealing he would have won the box lot that the auctioneer described wrong something he never does saying it was a box of xxxxx parts and not being specific about the box like he would usually be. The worker made sure it was the first item sold that night and quickly took it out to his car with no one the wiser. He would have had the box for 220 but it I ran it to 2400. Within 1 hour of the end of the auction I found the good item on eBay that he had concealed and has since sold it for over a 10000 profit. Needless to say he played the ignorance card regarding the item functioning correctly and saying he is not an expert. He concealed in his eBay auction that there was internal corrosion and it did have some issues that would have cut the price in half at least. I guess now that I am done with my rant has anyone experienced anything like this? I am totally disgusted with how it was run and feel that it was a setup from square one. Again sorry for the rant