View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011, 11:52 AM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default And the seller is...

First off, I'll identify myself as the seller. I have a PM into Rob regarding some items that only concern the two of us, but my two cents on the topic:

Like many other sellers, I utilize the unpaid item assistant. I prefer not to have to manually keep track of how much time has elapsed and find the service convenient. There are only a few options that can be selected related to the duration of time to wait before opening a case using the assistant. They are 4, 8, 16, 24 and 32 (calender) days. Only eBay could tell you why it's this way... I'd prefer to be able to set it to 5 or 6. Note, however, that there is a setting in the assistant that allows you to override this for a list of users. So, if I get an email/message from a buyer who asks for extra time, I can handle that separately.

Anyway, from what I've read and experienced, there is absolutely no negative aspect to your buyer account if you have a unpaid item case opened against you. Your account is only "dinged" if you don't pay within four days after the case is opened. Essentially, every buyer can wait at least eight days to pay without penalty. In my experience most buyers pay within 48 hours of auction close, and of those where an unpaid item case is opened generally pay within 24 hours after that.

As a seller I like to get items shipped closely to auction end as possible, especially this time of year. Some may be waiting for items to be given as gifts, but I also don't want to have to carry my inventory with me as I travel for the holidays. Regardless when the buyer pays, eBay policy states that I have to ship within three (calendar) days.

As Andrew pointed out earlier, communication is the key.

-erick