View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
That Sayers thing was appalling but not surprising; big packs of whores on both sides of that table when there's money to be made. No expert is beyond question; they are human beings and prone to human errors.

I spend a lot of time and study on the autographs I want and usually try to get them on a legal document, a contract, or a check. To me those are better media for likely authenticity than some random scrap of paper. But nothing is perfect. I've been burned a few times, fortunately on cheap items that I could return.

Sometimes the forgeries are innocent and look damned good; I was very disappointed with a Marciano 1950s postally used PC that turned out to have his wife's signature and I have secretarials of La Motta and some others on vintage postmarked PCs.

Even with the truth of everything said in this thread, and given the demonstrable incompetence of the TPAs, the vast majority of the public accepts their verdicts and that makes their products fungible. I don't think that is ever going to change. It is too entrenched. After all, misgraded cards abound but PSA and SGC chug along.

Ad@m W@rsh@w

That's the status quo and it is only going to change if the public demands change, and a regulatory agency forces them to change. The vast majority accepts it because they havent even seen one of these ridiculous errors but they need to be reached. The sayers autograph is not human error, as Richard has pointed out.

That listing started out as psa/dna LOA - JSA LOA,

then one of them dropped out first and it just listed the other company as issuing an LOA.

Then it was changed to no authentication, just a belief by these companies that they believe it is real. We have screenshots of all three scenarios.

It wasn't an error, even heritage acknowledged that there was no authentication due to lack of exemplars. so psa and jsa never had exemplars to begin with, but still felt that they could issue LOA's for the piece.

I honesty believe that they think they can do what they want because they don't think people are paying attention, but many, many people are constantly paying attention, every auction, every auction house.

Last edited by travrosty; 12-14-2011 at 10:02 PM.