View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Bill Hedin

Default The Great Debate!

Hi Peter and all !
We set up at the first Cooperstown card show in 1980 or 1981, and on the ride back to Boston, my employees and I had started a "traveling game" that we still use today, over 30 years later!
One person says a name of a BB great that's not in the Hall of Fame. Then we (the others) take turns saying should be in or out with our reasons. We agree on a few, agree to dis-agree on others, and then there's the category that cvan only be described as " The viscious Fight", lol!
Some of the players that we argue, scream, taunt each other, and o everything short of a fist fight include:
Pee Wee Reese, Gil Hodges, Jim Rice, Bobby Doerr, Gary Carter, and many more! The 4 of us grew up together and we are BB maniacs! We are like 4 brothers, and our HOF game is awesome!
We were horrified about Jim Rice, and didn't understand Bob Doerr.
One weekend at a Randy Thyberg show in Philly, a customer bought a Schmidt Rookie and a Boone rookie from a 1973 set I had broken up. He was talking about the investment potentioal, and was very convinced on a huge pay day on this deal. He then told us that Bob Boobe was the most under-rated catcher in BB and the HOF are idiots for leaving him out. Well, we did not see it his way and told him he was insane!
The point is who gets in and why is a political thing in some cases.
As for Ron Santo, you probably won't find a bigger Santo fan in Boston than me! I loved the guy as a player and announcer and I prayed for him when he got so sick. I love the guy, and for me, I say sure he should go in. I'm biased on the subject.
Sorry for the long thread, but I'm up late in lots of pain and NET 54's my therapy.
The big news is that a fellow board member is traveling near me and is stopping at my house for a visit tomorrow! I am beyond excited!
Have a great week every one!
Your Fiend,
Bill Hedin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Great guy, excellent player, but not a HOFer in my opinion.