View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 06:31 PM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
So, for your own edification, check-out the POP
reports and compare any of the 46 - SOVEREIGN 460 subjects with the 6 super-prints with the 460 back.

TED Z
Using the pop reports to determine scarcity is difficult because much of the information is incomplete. PSA does not differentiate between series so it’s impossible to tell how many of the cards on their report have 350 or 460 series backs. This renders PSA’s pop reports with regard to the super prints useless. SGC does differentiate between backs but for many years they did not separate poses but instead counted them all into one nondescript listing. For example in the Hal Chase report it lists the following for Sovereign 460:

Nondescript = 19
Trophy = 4
Blue Port = 2
Black Cap = 1

How many of the 19 were Trophy, Blue Port or Black Cap poses? We can't know.

Fortunately there are three super print subjects that are only possible with one pose with a 460 Series back so we know the nondescript are the same as the identified pose. For example Evers:

Nondescript = 6
w/ Bat = 1
Total Evers w/ Bat = 7

The total SGC pop numbers for the three super prints we can determine the total for are:

Cobb = 3
Evers = 7
Mathewson = 5

For a comparison these are the pop numbers for some other 460 Only subjects.

Abbaticchio = 5
Ball = 7
Bergen = 7
Bescher = 7
Devore = 5
Herzog = 6
Howell = 6
Meyers = 7
Oldering = 6
Overall = 6
Schaeffer = 7
Stovall = 7

All of these subjects on the pop report are equal to or between Evers and Mathewson. So if we’re going to use the pop report to determine scarcity I believe the only conclusion would be that the twelve common cards I listed would be equal in scarcity to the super prints of Evers and Mathewson.

Cobb only has a pop report of 3 but Murray also has a pop report of 3. Given the number of entries it’s expected for some subjects to fall just below or just above the median.

Now as I stated before there is a group that I believe were printed much more than the others and the pop report is a good indicator of that. Some of them are the following:

Crandall = 18
Duffy = 20
Ford = 30
Gandil = 21
Geyer = 16
Sheckard = 16
Tannehill = 32
Wheat = 15

In conclusion some cards within the Sovereign 460 back set do appear to have been printed more than the super prints but I have not seen any evidence to show that the super prints were printed less than all the other cards in the group.

Last edited by Abravefan11; 11-28-2011 at 06:39 PM.