View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 09:42 PM

Default PSA SMR prices...what's the deal?

I've been a using Beckett guides for a while, but thought I'd give PSA's SMR a try...beats buying another book each year, or magazine each month...

But I was amazed at the disparity between its valuations for cards, versus what many are selling for on ebay. I mean, the differential is huge, especially for the '52 Topps, which is what I'm collecting.

For example, Faye Throneberry is listed at $365 in NrMt 7, yet on ebay there is an example for sale for $585! And it is not even particularly well centered, with a significant shift upwards. Definitely not worth (IMO) the premium of a dead centered example.

Another example: Bill Dickey. PSA 6 he lists for 700, yet on ebay a fellow is asking 985 for one, and it's badly off center, flirting with MC status.

So what's the deal here? Are ebay sellers not clued in the economy, or vainly trying to sell them for what they might've paid 18 or 24 months ago?

Or is it because we're talking about 52 highs, and their rarity causes greater swings in prices?

Why is it, you think, that there is such a disparity between the SMR, and the actual selling prices?