View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post
So who do you think is a good broadcaster?
I like Buck's tone when a big play is made, but agree that overall he misses the mark.
McCarver isn't real good...I liked the comment about his loss of originality. He does have a firm grasp of the obvious though!

Dick Stockton is not a pleasant voice to hear, and Ron Darling loves the superstars so much that he'll ignore the rest of the team in favor of telling you that Pujols is only 6 batters away before his turn!!
John Smoltz is new to the booth but I kinda like his style.
Joe Morgan ...omg if he predicts something he will congratulate himself for three innings...wow he's bad. ( dude knew how to win baseball games though so here's my kudos to him as a player)

The radio guys are much better in my opinion...listening to Milo H., Ted Leitner, Scott Frantzke, Larry Anderson...much better to listen to, but of course I like watching the game too

Oh please someone grant permanent laryngitis to John Sterling and Susan Waldman(?) .
Given how many truly bad ones there are, I'm thinking that the 'Morgan/McCarver' model is what t.v. viewers actually like (and don't forget another guy who loves the sound of his own voice - Rick Sutcliffe) . Remember, we're vintage guys, and the 'old school' broadcasting we grew up listening to on the radio is pretty much a thing of the past.

My favorites were Lowell Pass and Gene Elston doing the Astros on the radio back in the '60s. But whoever did the White Sox back then was good to - names elude me.

Today? I really don't like any of them. Here's an interesting website - check out Buck at #5 Worst, and the 'spared' list. This is quite funny:

http://www.aolnews.com/2009/12/03/ma...-broadcasters/

Last edited by Runscott; 10-13-2011 at 07:12 PM.