View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Dan Bretta

Most of the out of uniform snapshots sold for between $10-$30...I did however pay somewhere around $100 for an "Unknown" man in a suit on the field...I knew it was Sam Thompson and probably someone else did too that's why it went for so much...non hall of fame players in uniform seemed to go for anywhere from $50-$100 and hall of famers went from $100+...I can't recall what the Van Oyen team photo sold for, but I think it was over $2,000. There were a few out of uniform snapshots that had multiple players including Cobb that I think sold for $100+...then there were photos of non-baseball stuff that Matty snapped including some zoo photos, boats in Cuba, his family, et cetera that all sold for $10 and less per photo.

The sad part is that this album originated from a Lelands auction and I never even saw it until I went searching for info on the album after it had already been cut up...it sold dirt cheap (compared to what Rogers made on it) I may still not have gotten it as Rogers probably had a much higher bid on it than what it sold for, but snapshots were my main passion at that time and I definitely would have taken a run at it.

These photos are no longer mine so hopefully whoever has them now won't object to my posting them, but you seem genuinely interested in the collection.

Davy Jones

Ed Killian

Germany Schaeffer

Jimmy Archer x 2

Matty's baby and a pup

Ship in Cuba

The Womenfolk

I can't recall the name of this fellow, but Richard Bak an author of a couple of Ty Cobb books once told me who it was...you can see part of the stands at Bennett Park in the background

George Wiltse and Joe McGinnity