View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 09:41 AM
Frank Wakefield

Hey Ted, I missed whatever it was.

Years ago I considered myself on top of baseball. Any day I could rattle off the top 10 players in each league in batting average, hits, home runs, stolen bases, usually RBI's, wins, ERA... most days I had the announced pitchers in my head. I let go of some of that while in college, and eventually most of it after having kids...

Today, I have a clue as to a thimblefull of what's happening in the National League. And if I figure out anything about the AL, it's because I occasionally keep tabs on Tim Wakefield at Boston, maybe I hear something on the radio as I drive along, or I hear what the announcers have to say during the playoffs...

I know who A-Rod is, and Jeter. And I could have guessed that Cano was a second baseman. But after listening to the announcers talk about Robinson Cano I'm astonished that the Yankees didn't win the ALDS, and on to a WS victory. Had the Tiger pitchers listened to it, they'd have intentionally walked him every time he came to bat, even if the bases were loaded... It sure seemed to me that either there was a ton of NY bias, or that the announcers were pandering to the NY fans. Maybe I just took it the wrong way; anyone else perceive undue and excessive NY hype?

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 10-08-2011 at 10:01 AM.