View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 01:30 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Jeff-I don't think there is that much to fix with the Yankees, although they do not require some fixing. Even with the underachieving squad of this season they were probably one good starter away from the ALCS and possibly the world series. If they had been able to sign Cliff Lee we might be having a different discussion now. Are they getting old-absolutely. Jeter and Mariano will more likely than not be worse next year. Arod may or may not be given his injury plagued season this year. He will never be the old Arod (do we even know what the old Arod would have been with the Yankees without the juice?) but with a good off season conditioning program he could be better than this year. Granderson will have a hard time matching this season's numbers but Gardner, Cano and Martin should match or exceed them. Teixeira has a shot at posting better numbers next year, certainly in batting average. If he would only learn to bunt and just occasionally lay one down third he could add thirty points to his average(18 more hits a year based on 600 ABs) and get teams to stop shifting on him. Add to this that they will have Montero for a full season and they really don't look bad in terms of every day players. I would like to see them get a new RF. Swisher is certainly good enough during the regular season but his post season stats make Arod look like a post season superstar. The Yankees have one of the best or the best bullpen in the AL so no issue there. Where they are really weak, as you correctly pointed out, is their starting pitching. They need to get Sabathia back and hopefully back in better shape. Nova has a lot of promise going forward and I am optimistic about Hughes. However, I see these two no better than number three starters. Therefore, I think their most pressing need is a top drawer starter (they grow on trees, don't they?). However, with Posada's contract gone(I would not resign him) and hopefully Swisher gone, there will be some extra money and I would go big for the right guy either via FA signing or trade.