View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 07:56 PM
Steve

This thread is great, thanks to everybody for sharing. Chris, I can only imagine you looking at veggies and then the cards, back at the veggies, then making a "tough" decision...haha.

I remember my very first pack was 1987 Topps (I was 7 at the time)...it was during a summer camp visit to the batting cages and the associated arcade. I was really excited and promptly went home to tell my parents that I now collected baseball cards.

In the early 90's my mom would take my sister and I to the mall and to the local card shop, Extra Innings. I'd use my allowance to buy a box of cards, I vividly remember the yellow boxes of 1990 Score and green boxes of 1991 Score. My family would order pizza for dinner and watch the four shows that made up TGIF on tv, and I would open my cards. Great times...

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
In the spring of 1970, when I was nine, my mom sent me to the grocery store to buy some vegetables. As I walked into the grocery store, I was awestruck by a box of baseball cards. At the time, I knew little about baseball, although I collected other stuff, like bugs, Hot Wheels and Odd Rod stickers.

For reasons I can't explain, I spent the money my mom gave me on several packs of Topps baseball cards. I can remember getting a poster of Ollie Brown in the first pack and one of Willie Davis in the next pack. As I was walking home, my father passed by in his car and offered me a ride home. I explained to him what happened and he was surprisingly sympathetic. He drove us back to the grocery store, where he bought my mom the vegetables she wanted — and he bought me several more packs of baseball cards ...

From that day on, I lost all interest in bugs, Hot Wheels and Odd Rods ...