View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 07:16 PM
Scott S

Default SCP Auctions - poor customer service w/ auction item

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend who is not a board member, but will encourage him to join and chime in.

My friend purchased this Red Auerbach nameplate in the SCP Auction which ended on 7/13.

Lot #11: RED AUERBACH'S DESKTOP NAMEPLATE FROM HIS BOSTON OFFICE (PHOTOMATCH)

http://www.scpauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=15064

He paid right away, and received the nameplate in the mail very shortly thereafter. The nameplate itself was nice as described, but there was no photomatch of the nameplate to Red's office, as was described in the auction title.

He then called SCP on several occasions, and was assured twice that it will be sent to him, but nothing ever came. He called again on Friday 8/19, and was told that he needs to speak with someone named Dan the following week. The person he spoke with said to "keep calling until you reach Dan." He did not offer to take a message or make an inquiry.

My friend then sent several emails to every email address listed on the SCP site, threatening legal and BBB action. He received an email back last Saturday from Dan, as follows:
=====
Ralph,

I am very sorry for the "runaround". I will be back in the office on Wednesday and will handle this personally. I do believe we have the photomatch and I will contact you immediately upon my return to let you know the status of getting it sent to you. Again, sincere apologies.

Dan Imler
Managing Director
SCP Auctions
=====

Two days have now come and gone since Dan promised to respond, and there has been no response. My friend has sent him another email yesterday and today, and nothing has been answered. This wasn't exactly a cheap item - nearly $1K with the juice - so I'd expect better customer service here.

His bids on the item were based on getting a photomatch of the nameplate, and after a month of a runaround, I offered to share his story with the board. This sounds unacceptable to me, and I would hope SCP will reach out to him ASAP with both the photomatch and some refund for his troubles, or an offer for an immediate full refund.

Is this par for the course for SCP? I have had minimal experience with them myself and haven't had any issues, but want to see how others have found their dealings with SCP.

Thanks,
Scott Sar1an

Last edited by scooter729; 08-25-2011 at 07:22 PM.