View Single Post
Old 08-22-2011, 08:27 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Default Jiltin’ Joe

I’ve never heard of that happening, but I was at a show in Houston (back in ’89 I believe) where Joe DiMaggio was signing autographs and the jerk just got up and left during the middle of the autograph session. I had bought my autograph ticket weeks in advance and had an old LIFE magazine with him on the cover that I was going to have him sign.

I got to the show and the autograph line was pretty long. I thought I would wait for the line to go down some and do some shopping in the meantime. A few minutes later I saw him bolt up out of his chair and storm off. You could tell he was upset about something. He went outside the hotel, got in his limo and took off. Those of us left holding autograph tickets were pissed. The promoter refunded our money, but I was still disappointed.

I later found out that Joe had a deal to sign “X” number of autographs and he thought the promoter oversold the tickets and was screwing him. That wasn’t the case. Joe was wrong. Anyway, I told myself that I would never own any DiMaggio memorabilia (autograph, cards, etc.) and I don't. He was a jerk to do that and leave all those people disappointed.