View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 02:07 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I have to put my two cents in because I disagree with many of the above comments. I think third party grading isn't a necessary evil of the hobby at all. I think it's made everything much more above board, so instead of having all of these dealers offer these low grade cards that "look good" but have back damage, etc, as Good, Very Good, Excellent, etc, it levels the playing field back towards card buyers. I have no basis for this at all, but my feeling is that old time card collectors don't like TPG. They're used to the old, raw way. The long time hobbyists know cards extremely well and have a tremendous reservoir of knowledge. They don't need TPG because they can easily tell counterfeit cards from real ones, carefully follow the paradigm to collect the card, not the holder, and so forth. They don't need TPG's because the TPG's should hire them as one of their in house experts! However, for newer collectors or casual collectors who aren't nearly as good as these things, TPG's provide a source of comfort so that they know that they're not getting scammed. Old time collectors know how to handle cards without damaging them. Newer collectors are worried that the card they bought instead of a big screen TV will depreciate to 0 value if their toddler gets a hold of it. It's always been a topic on how card collecting may be dying as a hobby because newer collectors aren't as interested in it. However, I firmly believe that TPG's like PSA do bring the newer collectors back into the hobby. They give collectors a comfort that they're not getting scammed or throwing their money away. And for PSA, even though their registry is often held in derision here, it allows more entertainment for some collectors to be able to see and organize all of their cards in the registry and compete with others on it. I've never talked or corresponded with Joe Orlando, but I believe he's trying to promote the interest of the hobby as best as he can. Obviously, he's not perfect, but very few of us are.