View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post

Every year at this show some interesting things happen. In my next post here, I will tell you of an astonishing coincidence that occurred.

TED Z

Early afternoon on Saturday at the show, a couple walked up to Don Flewelling's table and were looking for any cards of Eugene Schott. Schott was the lady's uncle.
Not too well-known, Schott pitched for Cinci (1935-38) and the Phillies 1939). Don told her that her uncle was not featured in any major set (i.e., Goudey's or Play
Balls), but may be found in some seldom seen regional issue(s).

Then, 4 PM that Saturday, an older gentleman walked in with an eclectic collection of pre-war BB cards. He sold them to a dealer at the show named George. George
showed Don an unusual, colorful, exhibit-size card that was in this walk-in. This card was that of Gene Schott. Furthermore, it had Schott's autograph on it. You had
to be there to see Don's reaction, he went "bananas" over this find. It was an unbelievably mind-boggling coincidence.

Don bought the card from George in the hopes of running into Schott's niece again. Well there is a happy ending here.....as this couple returned to the VFW building
Saturday evening to attend the BB card Auction.

POST SCRIPT....I found that Gene Schott is in a seldom seen 1938 Cinci team issued B & W set (W711-1). The classification of the issue that his above stated card
is in, is unknown. If any one on this forum can identify it, it would be greatly appreciated.

TED Z