View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 08:55 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
So what if they are? Are they idiots for collecting modern stuff, any more than we're idiots for collecting stuff of deadballers? Who knows what will sell in the future? And just keep in mind, that the guy who sold me his ticket, bought it for $100 two days ago, before they started going crazy on eBay. Now the kind of ticket I bought for $250 this morning is up over $300 tonight. That's a pretty good investment, if only in the short term.

You guys spend so much time talking about whether kids today are going to be tomorrow's collectors. DJ3K is the kind of modern event that grows the spirit of all of our collections. Don't ignore that because the marketing is better today, or because Jeter is a once in a lifetime, Mickey Mantle-esque sports icon.

If you really think the modern ballplayer has to stop and sign every piece of paper that is shoved in front of him on the street, or in a restaurant while he is eating with his family, then you understand little about the perils of modern celebrity.

Good points sir... I don't have anything against peddling crap memorabilia, it's a nice memento... Something to share with your kids and such, but you don't actually think that something mass produced as a collectible will ever be worth more then the purchase price right? They're making as many as they can possibly sell right now. Do you think more people will be interested in DJ3K as the years go by? My guess is the moments popularity has already peaked.

I don't have a problem with Jeter squeezing every penny he can from his fame. I also don't have a problem with him blowing people off in the street. When he let that kid give him the ball for free is the moment I decided he was a true a-hole. I'm still waiting for him to fix it.