View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 10:15 AM
Scott

I think the problem I have is the lack of any connection w Jeter and the like . The Man sits in a room, prob w a nice adult beverage, scribbles his name, collects a fat check and is gone. Fan sends in 600.00 or w/e and gets a nice signed ball, but thts it. Jeter is just like an imaginary figure. I know this angle is a bit off the main issue maybe, but its my problem with it.

I can remember meeting Brooks Robinson at a card show and him chatting for a minute or two to express h is interest. And, when I was just 8, going to Fenway for autograph time before a Red Sox game. Two guys were signing, Ken Tatum and Bob Montgomery. Were they stars? No. But, fans loved them, and enjoyed meeting them.

This isn't a shot at Jeter or Steiner or anyone else . Its just that is like a "huge machine" as the sport is too most times. If people want a "sanitized" autograph like this tho, its their choice, just not for me.

In the end, this is the GREATEST Hobby in the world, and we should enjoy it however we can within our means, if that means owning ten cards. a case of 91 upper deck baseball, or a 33 goudey set in the top three PSA Registry. Just my rant, have a good day all.