View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 12:44 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
The 1986 Donruss Jose Canseco. It was the first year I started collecting, but I didn't get one in '86. It became extremely popular a couple of years later when he was the first player to make the 40/40 club. The card was going for over $100 at one point and I actually bought one for that price.

It still brings back memories every time I see that card. I was at the TriStar show in Houston this past weekend and one dealer had a bargain box with several of them. Jose's birthday is a couple of days away (July 2nd).
Definitely a good choice. I think the perspective on the '86 Canseco all comes down to when it was acquired. Had I bought that card when it was over $100, it probably would've topped my list as well. However, I didn't get one 'til a few years ago, and I think I might've payed $4 or so..

One of the first things I did when I got back into collecting was that I started to pickup the 80's cards that I always wanted as a kid but couldn't afford. The kind of cards that once seemed ridiculously expensive, that can now be had for under $10. Basically, the big investment killers. The main ones that come to mind are...

'83 Topps Traded Strawberry
'84 Donruss Joe Carter
'84 Topps Traded Gooden
'85 Topps McGwire
'86 Donruss Canseco
'87 Classic Green Bo Jackson
'90 Leaf Frank Thomas and Sosa

Last edited by novakjr; 06-30-2011 at 12:44 PM.