View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 05:52 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Seems funny to see "the demise of Card Shops" on the Darkest list, and "Ebay" on the Brightest list. The "former" likely would not have happened if not for the "latter". So there's a bit of irony there...

But I understand the sentiment, as I miss the old Card Shops too.

I would say that the over-abundance and mass-production of card issues from the 1980s - 2000s was the most damaging aspect. It not only drove masses of collectors into apathy mode... it also "cheapened" the hobby. Or at least that's the perception it conveyed.
Everything on my "bright" list also happens to have led to it's corresponding number on my "dark" list. ***I feel no.2 on my bright list is mainly necessary because of no.1 on my dark list..

Ebay technically belongs on both lists, as it has also, to some extent, contributed to the falling prices.. Depending on your perspective, as a person who was somewhat out of the hobby, the deals that could be found on ebay were a big factor towards bringing me back. I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard. BUT I can imagine someone who was still active in the hobby as a dealer, or for investment purposes, lost a good chunk of money thanks to the deals that can be found on ebay..