View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Mike Schulze

Let's see if I understand this correctly.... If I purchased a certified autographed item from an auction house that was later deemed a forgery, would I have any legal ramifications as a buyer? If so, who would be held accountable... the auction house or the authenticator? I'm no attorney but I would think that since the auction house is listing the item as authentic, they should be on the hook on behalf of the duped buyer Once they refund my $$, then the auction house would have to get their money back from the item's original owner.... then the owner would have to pursue the authenticator for a refund. At this time, the authenticator can use the line, "Well, it was my expert opinion" and get off free and clear without issuing a refund or face any criminal charges.

Is this how these situations typically play out or does the auction house use verbage like "buyer beware" and the initial request for a refund never makes it down the chain to the authenticator. I've never purchased anything from an auction house so I apologize for all of the questions.