View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Mike

Default Missed it by "that much"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Hey Mike
I lived at 950 Wavecrest, right off of El Camino Real..........there was an elementary right down the street from us but I can't remember the name. We used to get up real early on weekend mornings and ride our skateboards there. Yeap, I was in 6th grade when the Intermediate opened the first year. We had moved to Clear Lake, from Westbury (SW Houston) when I was in 4th grade....I am sure we knew a lot of the same people. My little league All Star team went to the State Championships....( I will brag and admit I was the 2nd best batter in the league that year and played every game and pitched in every game too (on my regular team, played outfield on the All Star team)).....The Spivey's played on that team, their dad was our coach, and you might have known the younger one? What a small world it is!!

fyi...I would have been class of '80 but some bad things in life happened....long story.......
Wow, Leon!! and it just gets smaller. I lived on Fathom - just 1 block in on the other side of El Camino between Wavecrest and Festival - and am all too familiar with that part of the street. Inter-neighborhood stickball in the cul-de-sac at the end of either your street or Seagate a couple of times in the summer of 78 (or 79) as well as typical 70's teenage hooliganism ... the fence along El Camino was great cover for tossing water balloons at passing buses, trucks, etc... Also, both my sisters went to Whitcomb Elementary over there by you.

Definitely played ball with David Spivey, and a little with his older brother Don. I didn't play in the area till Pony league in 76, so missed the state LL action, but definitely heard about it after the fact. Our pony All-Star teams in 76/77 never made it out of the region .

I'm sure you're right, that there are a whole list of characters we both know and played with. Gary Melder, Jim Backus, or Don Robison ring any bells?

Look forward to meeting you one of these days. I won't be at the Nat'l this year, but maybe 2012.

--
Mike