View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Jon Canfield

Bumping this old thread, but wanted to share a neat little "find" that I know at least a few on this board are aware of (and a big thanks to Alan for pointing them out). A gentleman on the non-sports forum had purchased a collection of flattened and trimmed turn of the century cigarette packs a few years back I believe (at least I do not believe it is a recent purchase). His collection contained many amazing flattened and trimmed packs, but also yielded two really exciting items. The first is a Red Sun flattened pack. This Red Sun pack pre-dates the card issue by a few years (as the brand was still owned by Butler and Butler), but it's one of only 2 Red Sun packs I've ever seen. In fact, the first one I have ever seen was just 2 months ago.

The second pack is much more interesting in my book. Below is the first image of what I consider a "true" T206 style Hindu pack. As many on here have seen before, Hindu advertised the release of baseball cards in newspapers in 1909 (see an example below). Depicted in these ads was a drawn representation of the cigarette pack which supposedly yielded the cards. However, this exact style of pack had never been seen before. Curiously enough, a different style of Hindu pack had been discovered, but had different graphics and was a more elongated style. These elongated packs are extremely rare in their own right. Until recently, I had only known of 1 of these, but since have heard of 2 more. Anyways, I thought some others on here would enjoy finally seeing a Hindu pack in full color.

(please note this Hindu pack is NOT mine).

Last edited by canjond; 06-12-2011 at 10:34 PM.