View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 08:56 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
This isn't really accurate.

My brother is a police detective. In general, the police hate pawn shops. Why? Because they are an easy outlet for stolen goods. By the time the shop discovers it is stolen merchandise, the seller is long gone and likely snorted or smoked up the cash they got out of the deal.

Many law enforcement people feel the unintended effect of pawn shops is they increase burglary.
Could be that's how it works wherever he is. There are some bad pawn businesses, just as in any other business. All the ones I've been to require a valid ID to sell or pawn. (From overhearing while I was looking at the stuff sor sale)
I have sold to card shops, and never been asked for ID. and was always paid by cash rather than check.

I've only bought something known to be hot once, but did it because I knew the owner and had his contact info, so it was more of a recovery than a bad purchase. -Bicycle, stolen over a weekend, reported to most local bike shops Monday/Tuesday offered to me Thursday for $50 bought for 20 plus I got the sellers ID Turned over the bike and ID info to the owner that evening. A nice ending to a crummy week for him. The seller had lame excuses the police didn't believe, but which also meant they couldn't act. The bag of drugs in his backpack when they questioned him was a different matter....

Steve B