View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 07:24 AM

Default Need some Exhibit education

I'm a collector on a tight budget. That being said, I usually look for lower conditioned cards or sets that are a little more affordable, especially for HoF superstars.

I've been thinking of picking up exhibits of some of the stars like Ted Williams, Joe Dimaggio, and Jackie Robinson (I'd be open to suggestions for other superstars ) that I probably wouldn't be able to afford in other sets.

When I search ebay's completed auctions, prices seem to vary considerably. Even when comparing raw copies, prices seem to fluctuate from ~$10 to $50+. Clearly condition will change the price, but are there many variations of these that make some go for more or less? Are there a lot of fakes out there? I'd love to pick one up on the cheap end for $10-$20 even if the quality is a little poor, but still presentable, so long as I know it's not a fake. However, perhaps more experienced collectors are staying away from what are obvious fakes which keeps the price low. Perhaps the low end of the range I'm seeing is not reasonable for authentic examples.

I've done some searches here and looked up the sets in my standard catalog, but figuring it out exactly what I need is tough and probably won't get me the info I'm looking for. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks
http://s241.photobucket.com/home/woundedduck/allalbums