View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011, 09:25 PM
Steve Birmingham

In the slightly upscale areas they call them "consignment shops"
In very upscale areas they're "antique shops"
There's a place on Beacon hill in Boston with the three balls hanging outside. Pretty ritzy neighborhood. (Pun not intended - nor accurate, it way on the other side of the common and a few blocks off) I couldn't even get buzzed in, and from the looks of the stuff inside I couldn't afford it anyway.

In whatever field you're in do you ever tell a client/customer "I've made enough money this week, so your purchase/job is free" or even "at cost".

Lawyers, doctors, pawnshops. They're all in business to make money. If it weren't for the pawnshops, where would those desperate people go? It may be a poor deal, but if it's the only available deal then that's pretty much it.
If you can't get a loan but have stuff with some value you go to a pawn shop or some other sort of dealer in used things. Only the pawn shop will give you next weeks lunch money for your TV.
The lawyers office will charge what $200/hour for having a student look up something? And yet they're respected and the pawnbroker isn't.....

And all they do is make a decent profit off people who likely snorted/smoked/drank/gambled their paycheck, thus keeping them temporarily away from needing to commit crimes to eat or feed their habit.

Yes, I'm in a cynical mood. It may pass.

Steve B