View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Since the ball was fake, it was probably more like " so I need to sell this Babe Ruth ball. I paid 5k but I really need a thousand right now"

Nobody forces anyone to sell stuff to a Pawnshop.
How much profit is fair? How much to advertize, keep the rent paid, lights on, staff paid, healthcare paid for, taxes paid on inventory, cost of inventory itself......Nobody complains when WalMart makes 5x cost on an item, but if a small business does it they're preying on people.

A bank can charge 12-30% for essentially the same thing - providing loans via credit card. I'll bet if the guy asked for a loan he'd have gotten more and at a better rate than the banks would give him. Tried getting a personal loan lately?

And if someone really paid 5K for a ball wouldn't they have a better chance of getting good price from the dealer they bought it from, or on Ebay.
If someone had 5K to actually spend on a ball, and is desperate enough to need a pawnshop it's likely the problem is one of their own making.

Steve B
Nonsense. A pawnshop, by its very nature, preys on desperate people who, for the most part, have no place else to go.

When's the last time you saw the three balls hanging in an upscale part of town?