View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 10:10 AM
James Gallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Very simply. Digital readout calipers are down to $20 now, and under $100 for a really nice one. In the old days a micrometer would have been used. same as the paper mills do to ensure consistent quality.

Given a good sampling of known original cards it would be easy to establish a proper range of thickness just like there's a proper size range.

I have a caliper, and I could probably get a hard number based on my collection if anyones really interested.

Steve B
Steve

I was not aware of this, how fine do these things go. Would it measure paper thin cards like Cracker Jacks or just layered cards.

That being said just because there is a way to do it doesn't mean PSA does it.

They miss so much stuff at times, I find is extremely unlikely they are doing a thickness test on every or any card.

Just my opinion.

Seems they spend about a 1 minute grading a card so if they were doing a thickness test that would mean they are spending even less then a minute grading a card.

I am also not convinced that professionally pressing a card would make it thinner, pushing it out with a spoon yes, but careful equal pressure I don't know.

James G