View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 09:51 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Keep in mind that the date the photo was taken and the date the print was produced could be different. Unfortunately, with UPI, the back-stamping was sometimes done later at a later date which can confuse the issue. When United Press and International News merged in 1958, they went back and stamped a lot of previously-unstamped photos with the new UPI stamp style. The stamping style on the back of your photo is the one they used from 1958 through the early 1970s, and even though the lack of a zip code in the address of the stamp would seem to indicate pre-1962, some bureaus did not update their stamps for several years after the zip code was introduced.

It's a nice looking vintage photo for sure. If you wanted to be sure if it's a Type I or not, your best bet would be to send it in to PSA for certification. I believe Henry Yee (one of the authors you quoted) is heavily involved with that service and should be able to determine if it is a Type I photo from the original period, or a Type 2 re-strike from the late 1950's-60's.