View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 03:45 PM

Well, with 20 hours left, this is at 3100. It does look like a great deal of work went into this, but I fear someone is going to get burned when the only real cards turn out to be the T206 beaters. The first thing that bothers me is the pencil captioning. If these are players of "yore" or "yesteryear", that implies that the T212's. T206's, etc were old when the album was put together. That doesn't mesh with the purported age of the album itself. Those down home sentiments are also pretty funny when talking about the Cardinals - yeah, the doorstops of the 1900's NL were much better than the Gashouse Gang or Musial, Slaughter, Gibson, Brock, etc...
It is also convenient that despite all the apparent use this album has seen, only one card has separated from the page - a beater Sweet Cap T206. Not one rare card/HOFer has come loose. Glue technology must have been something back in the the day (of yore).
My guess is that this was put together by someone who was carefully trying to reproduce what he felt a collection of cards would have looked like circa 1910-15, HOF players and all, but was smart enough not to put a T206 Wagner in this mix. I also am amused by the question posted about the calue of the Mono cards. If I am correct, referencing the other sets in the question will trigger a hit on a Title and Description search. How about that- wow, what a thoughtful question. Thanks.
I think the seller has a previously unknown Vermeer for auction also

Last edited by judsonhamlin; 05-04-2011 at 03:46 PM. Reason: grammar - Sorry, Dr. Sloate