View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 08:33 AM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkw View Post
Im surprised at how many of you think these ARE NOT Authentic...

The wear alone should prove theyre all authentic, let alone that 75% of the cards pictured have never been reprinted. ie the Zeenuts (1911-17), D310, T212-1, T212-2, T212-3, T217, E90-2, E99, E100, etc., and the only cards that have been reprint (T206), easily pass as authentic.

The camera glare on some cards is because those cards have a glossy surface, ie the M101-4/5, T212-2, T212-3, etc.

Only a handful of the cards would have any value if removed, ie the 3 Wagners, 3 Weavers, 3 Cobbs, the E90-2, T217, some of the T212-1s, and maybe a couple of the Youngs and Mathewsons... the rest are $3-$10 cards at best. These cards lost 99.5% of their value when Junior used the scissors on them, not the glue.
there was a seller in Florida in 2007 that made great looking Obak reprints on thicker card stock. He sold tons of them to unsuspecting collectors. The Cesar's Creek flea market where I live has sellers that have reprints of just about everything you can imagine. I have seen the Zeenut Weaver card reprinted and I also bought one of the green background cards that shows Weaver with his team the San Francisco seals ( I can't remember the ACC designation maybe E100). this was hand made from some guys printer no doubt, but it was cool looking at the time, and I knew I would never be able to buy a real version of that card. So yes, though many of these cards have not been "officially" reprinted, there are still home made versions that some will make to look old and try to sell.
Remember that old Brady Bunch episode ...."Caveat emptor"