View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 12:27 PM

I agree with what Larry said in this thread and thank him for throwing some numbers out there. I think many people don't fully appreciate the vast gap in "population" between pre-war cards and modern cards. Heck even '50s Topps card populations are many, many times almost any pre-war card.

Another interesting point - you picked Cobb red. I know this card is popular, but it was super-printed in T206. So you even picked Cobb's least scarce T206. Again, it is popular, so that plays into the demand side of supply and demand, but I don't think it is the smartest "investment' to buy an item with a lot of supply. Also, tobacco cards can be found in better grades than candy cards. So a low grade red Cobb is not special at all.

As an aside I saw that a PSA 3 E92 Dockman Cy Young just closed in Bagger's Auction for $545 all in. Now THAT would have been a good investment. That card in that grade usually goes $800-1000+. A VG grade is actually a mid-grade for a candy card. And that Young is at least 15 times rarer than a red Cobb in all grades.

Cheers,
Blair