View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Larry

You know, he was such a jerk at times when he was playing, but was also fascinating to watch, even though you knew it wasn't legit. Really the only guy I've seen in 40+ years of dedicated fandom that made major league pitching look like slow-pitch softball. Bonds kind of gave you a real idea of what it would have been like to watch the Babe or Teddy Ballgame in their primes.

On the other hand, as a lawyer, you don't like to see perjury go unpunished, and in such a high profile case (more or less mandated by the 'roids issues over the last decade), the feds simply aren't going to let it just go by when it occurs before a grand jury. It would be kind of like a really irritated lawyer saying to a judge who's been giving him a hard time that (and I know I'm stealing some other member's line here--my appologies!) "better that people think that you're a fool than to speak and remove all doubt!" Say that, and you'd better have your tooth brush packed! Bonds similarly thumbed his nose at the grand jury, rather than choosing to come clean, and the feds were at a minimum going to make him pay for that conduct, be it through a felony conviction, large-scale attorney fees incurred for his defense, or both.

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 04-13-2011 at 08:27 PM.