View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 10:11 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Hey Fred......

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s View Post
As a kid who grew up watching baseball in the late '40's & fortunate enough to have seen Mantle, Williams, Mays, Aaron, Jackie Robinson, etc play in person, I have said before that only 1 player ever made the hairs on my neck tingle when he came to the plate and it was #7!
I guess you're older than I thought. You must be catching up to me

Seeing super-stars like Joe DiMaggio, Ted Williams, Stan Musial, Mickey Mantle, Duke Snider, Willie Mays, Yogi Berra, Roy Campanella, and Jackie Robinson was great.

Also, players like Johnny Mize, Richie Ashburn, Phil Rizzuto, Pee Wee Reese, Tommy Henrich, Gil Hodges, Larry Doby, Nellie Fox, Billy Martin added to the excitement.

And pitchers like Satchell Paige, Allie Reynolds, Bob Feller, Don Larsen, Don Newcombe, Whitey Ford, Robin Roberts, Bobby Shantz, and my most favorite....Joe Page.
There will never be a combination middle relief/closer like Joe Page was in 1947 and 1949....he was absolutely tremendous. Bucky Harris or Casey Stengel would bring
"Fireman Joe" into the game in the 6th inning and Joe would shut down the opposition for 4 innings (not allowing a baserunner and striking out as many as 8 batters).
Jim Konstanty was another great reliever of that era.

Gee, I can go on naming many, many more.

Best regards ole friend, we were certainly fortunate to be born at the right time.

TED Z