View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 11:10 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
Ditto.

I've received emails where a potential bidder would write "You only bought it for $75.00 (example) why do you want $399.99 (example) for it? Isn't that ridiculous?"

First of all, I won't apologize for knowing certain autographs and being fortunate enough to pick them up on Ebay for a great price (while forgeries being auctioned off at the same time were bidding at a much higher amount).

Two, I'm the one that goes through the time, effort and expense of getting the autograph certed. The majority of items that I purchase at a great price never go up for auction. No one should ever apologize for being knowledgeable and picking up great deals sometimes. We've earned it.
Interesting anecdote from the writer Mark Evanier about his friend, the cartoonist Sergio Aragones of Mad Magazine fame:

My best pal, Sergio Aragonés, once was selling some sketches he'd done. A browser was interested in one but blanched at the hundred-buck price tag.

"How long did it take you to draw that?" he asked.

"About a half-hour," Sergio answered.

The man was horrified: "You expect me to pay you a hundred dollars for a half-hour's work?"

Sergio showed uncommon restraint — at least for Sergio. He calmly said, "You're not paying for the half-hour it took me to do the drawing. You're paying for the forty-one years it took me to learn how to do that."
http://povonline.com/cols/COL210.htm