View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 07:47 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

I will post a scan of the verso on Monday. In the interim, I can tell you that the verso does in fact reference Peck & Snyder as publishers of the card and and lists their address as 120 or 126 (the last number is partially missing and therefore cannot be definitively made out) Nassau Street. As to when Peck & Snyder began publishing together, perhaps that information is on record at the New York Historical Society. I know one time when I was researching a photograph (the (in)famous "Creighton" tintype), the studio that published that image was on record at the Memphis Historical Society. The caveat (which was told to me after Barry and I published an article about the tintype) is that records at historical societies can be very incomplete. Therefore, just because it shows the first reference to a business as being a particular year, that does mean the business could not have been in existence prior to that date. So such a date should be regarded as the latest the business could have formed, not the earliest.

EDITED to add that I continue to doubt very much the card postdates 1867. If in fact it was produced during the 1868-1870 run of P&S trade cards, it makes sense it would still be available for purchase in the early 1870's when P&S was advertising the availability of its other cards. In addition, given the complete lack of advertising on the verso, it is possible the Peck and Snyder association when the card was released was different than it subsequently became.

Last edited by benjulmag; 03-26-2011 at 07:55 AM.