View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Barry Arnold

Default focus

after taming the Monster a few years back, i focused on type collecting
1900-1939. I primarily use the ACC but have picked some key ones from the
SCD that I felt were 'must haves'. I also collect types from seminal baseball photographers and do my best to find a photo and a card which is based on the photo. I have a Van Oeyen, a Thompson, a Brace, 2 George Burke's,
and 4 Conlon's. I also collect T era packs,pouches,boxes. I have 22 of those. I also make sure to display a few of my favorite cards from key collectors, such as Lionel Carter and F.Nagy.
For a fun aside, i collect T era games. I have the fan craze box which contained all the cards for the game with the Ritchey card affixed to the bottom. I have the box which held the polo grounds game cards,along with the playing pieces, the instructions, and field of play.
Believe it or not, I limit myself by having each item noted above framed professionally---sometimes with several together; sometimes with just one or two or three. Fortunately, my office has several walls for nearly 200 different
'types'. I guess I won't fully retire at any point because i need the office walls!!!
I should underscore that i do choose carefully when i buy because i think about where the piece can go and whether i want to pay for the professional framing.
I do love this stuff.
all the best,
barry

Last edited by ethicsprof; 03-20-2011 at 10:31 PM.