View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 10:26 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR View Post
From another message board, "I frequent the message boards over at sportscollectors.net. The subject was brought up about certified autographed cards and whether or not you preferred them or just regular base cards that are autographed...
***"

"The companies don't witness the signings and not all are signed by the players. I sat at a table doing a signing and happened to mention to the player the "certified" card of his I had seen that looked different from the items he was signing. He said 1 day a package arrived from the company of 500 cards with a note to please sign and return. He said he signed about 100 and his secretary at his business signed the rest....

Another time I went to a players room who was a friend of a friend. When we walked in there were 4 guys sitting around a table full of cards laughing. The player said they were sent to him by a company and they were all signing them and laughing about it.... He even invited us to "grab a stack and join in".
I don't know how anyone could authenticate modern signatures...let alone read them. Compare any team signed ball from 1930 to 2010...I could probably read every single name on the 1930 ball whereas I probably couldn't decipher a single name on the 2010 ball.