View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 02:27 PM
JeR@Me

Default 8 SL Proofs :

Barry - I have not been able to connect all the dots, but research indicates there seems to be some possible correlation with the time period around Chattanooga team leaving the Sally League (1909 C League Champions) and entering the 1910 (A) Southern Association via purchase by Andrews & Patten of the Little Rock franchise which resided in the Southern Assoc. for years. (1908-Tris Speaker - L.R.) They bought the Little Rock franchise, moved it to Chattanooga and then bumped the team from C League to A League, thus possibly bringing Alcock and Meek into interest for production in the T206 set. Alcock & Meek were 2 of the better players for the Lookouts, but a lot of folks may not know that Al Demaree ended up playing at the end of the season in 1909 for the Lookouts (38 games) and helped push them to the Sally Championship. Al came over from Savannah who was a competitor in the Sally league which created a lot of controversy around the Lookouts winning the League in 1909. (Augusta protested) Somehow moving from the Sally to the Southern Assoc probably pushed these 2 guys into the spotlight, and they nearly were distributed in the T206 set. Demaree is featured in the T210-8 set, but Alcock and Meek are not, so if we could match up the timelines for releases of the T206 SLer's and T210 set, I believe that would possibly give us some answers.

I have never read the KO article, and would love to read it to compare notes if anyone has it.... (I believe Keith also owns these 8 SL proofs, right !?)

The players for the proofs are :

Alcock, Meek - Chattanooga (Not featured in the T210-8 series, but both played partial seasons for the Lookouts who are featured in T210-8 series)
Dwyer, Lee, Roth - Jacksonville (Dwyer & Lee featured in T210-1 series) (Roth not featured in the T210 set)
Osteen, Pepe - Montgomery (Both featured in T210-8 Series)
Mayberry - Danville (Featuered in T210-2 series)

*Pictured below is Alcock (Top 2nd from left) and Meek (far top right) This PC is dated 5-17-09 on the back, so the season was only a few months in, and this is why Demaree is not in the PC since he did not join until the last 38 games of the 1909 season. --- Somehow with all of this info, we should be able to possibly narrow down the production dates of the SL Proofs, perhaps !?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC-Chattanooga.jpg (79.2 KB, 297 views)

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 03-04-2011 at 02:59 PM.