View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Banned

Default 1905 Van Oeyen postcards

When I first picked up the Louis Van Oeyen postcard of Napoleon Lajoie (portrait), I figured it was just an individual issue and not part of any set. Then a few years later I noticed similarities between it and the team PC from the same season. Then, when the example of Lajoie and James Jefferies turned up last month, it got me to thinking that perhaps Van Oeyen issued a set of Cleveland postcards in 1905. I've not been able to find a set catalogued in any of the reference guides I have.

The style of the printing on the fronts of the three postcards below is consistent, as are the backs. Van Oeyen was a pro's pro when it came to photography and the business aspect of his profession, so it's certainly reasonable to think that he would have issued a set of postcards.

I'm curious whether anyone has different examples that are of the same style as the three below. My guess -- and it's only a guess and not presented as fact -- is that Van Oeyen wouldn't have stopped after producing only three different PCs in this series. But I suppose there are reasons why he might have. Thoughts or opinions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg van-oeyen-portrait-pc.jpg (56.4 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg van-oeyen-team.jpg (62.5 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg lajoie-jeffries-pc.jpg (76.6 KB, 322 views)

Last edited by Rob D.; 02-20-2011 at 06:32 PM.