View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Val Kehl

Default My very recent experience with the USPS.

Until recently, I had never experienced a lost item by the USPS, and my wife and I have shipped approx. 3,500 items from our eBay sales (we do lotsa yard sales, church sales, etc. and sell our findings on eBay). But, on December 28th, I mailed a bb card to another Net 54er that never reached him. I had insured it (for less than its full value, much to my chagrin) but did not purchase a delivery confirmation or return receipt, because a few years ago a USPS clerk told me it was not necessary to spend money for these "extras" since I had bought insurance. On January 25th, I mailed my insurance claim with documentation as to the value of the card (copy of an email containing the agreed selling price). And, today I received a check from the USPS for the full amount of my claim. No hassle, and relatively fast. Hopefully, the card will turn up some day - I'll gladly return the money to the USPS if it does!

FWIIW, I think the USPS's rates for insurance are rather high. My guess is the insurance aspect of their business is very profitable, even though the USPS is losing money big-time overall.
Val