View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 10:18 AM
D.B. Cooper

The seller made a few mistakes. He didn't list the cards in the pre-war section, he didn't specify the year (which would have triggered some Obak collectors' saved searches), and he had about 12-15 card auctions that all ended at exactly the same moment. Another Ebay seller had been selling some nice 1909 Obaks over the past month or two, but she staggered the ending times about 5 minutes apart, which created a feeding frenzy. Buyers who missed out on the earlier cards would invariably raise their bids on the cards that followed.

You couldn't do that with this seller, because all the cards ended concurrently. I had snipes set for about 4 cards, but I set the snipes lower than I usually would have because I didn't want to win all 4 cards (I had some unexpected expenses last month which have effected my card budget). Consequently, I ended up being the under bidder on the Gandil, which I'm kicking myself over. I won the Whalen, which will be a nice upgrade over the Whalen I currently own, even if the back does have a bit of paper loss.

Last edited by Anthony S.; 02-10-2011 at 10:24 AM.