View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 01:31 PM

If you watch the following eBay sellers and what they list you will find a number of items that are VERY suspicious:

From Ohio

myjunk66
lour24i3d

From Indiana

acofind, fourducks, theolestuff (same seller different eBay anmes)
style_quest

These guys seem to have a LOT of "vintage" advertising posters, signs and baseball items that, if real, would sell for MUCH more than what they get on eBay.

One of them just had a Climax Plug tobbaco sign or poster which had pictures of baseball players from the 1880's on it which only sold for a couple of hundred dollars. If real, it would have been a multi-thousand dollar piece which should have been in REA or some other large auction.

Of course, those who know better didn't bid on it but those who didn't did bid and somebody got scammed out of a couple of hundred dollars.

The thing about these sellers is that they mix this fake, reprint stuff in with real items and thus make them look legit. Also, if you watch these sellers, they seem to have similiar fake stuff and in multiples. Also, they seem to be well known names or items; Harley Davidson and Indian motorcycles, Remington and Winchester guns and ammo, Babe Ruth Kaywoodie signs, Lou Gehrig Ken Well signs, Mickey Mantle Jello cards, large Topps cards, restaurant items, Ted Williams beverage signs, posters and bottles, Yogi Berra Yoo Hoo signs and posters, Hank Aaron and Willie Mays Jello cards, Pee Wee Reese and Jackie Robinson Bond Bread signs and posters, Shirley Temple cobalt blue glass items, Daisy butter churns (some of which were never made in the sizes which are being sold), cast iron toys and banks, etc.

Of course, these items are not mint but they aren't in crappy shape either, like you would expect them to be if they are large, made of paper and at least 50 years old.

What gets me is that the buyers are getting ripped off and either don't know it or don't care. I have e mailed some of the buyers to let them know the stuff they bought is most likely fake and some have written me back thanking me. I have even seen a few leave bad Feed back for the seller.

One guy, however, has wasted thousands of dollars with these people. I have written him to let him know about these fakes yet he continues to bid and buy this stuff. This, to me, either means; 1) he has more money than he knows what to do with, 2) he is buying the fake stuff to resell on his own or 3) he is buying the stuff to enjoy and is going to let his heirs find out after his death that he wasted his money on this crap instead of investing it wisely or setting it aside for them.

David