View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimozukawa View Post
I think that is pretty much the opposite of what they're saying. Unless those issues were different from the mass issued versions (which is an indication of MY ignorance), they couldn't be graded.

Umm... no. If you just sent in the bottom half of all of the cards, you wouldn't win. The cards needed to be redeemed in full pieces. As such, this would not count as a "tab" type of card, in my opinion.
Their example was a 79 Gretzky - cut from a sheet wouldn't be graded since the card wasn't issued in an uncut sheet form. They don't mention any requirement of differences. The 70's team card sheets were on different cardboard sometimes, but not always. The magazine panels are 6 card panels taken from regualr sheets as far as I know. The 83 set was issued in uncut sheets with no differences at all. I still have the sheet I bought and the huge wrapper, a giant cello tube.

I don't actually consider the Millers as tabbed cards either, but the factory did remove the offer portion just as a consumer would remove a tab.

I do think that a card without the tab is trimmed. Just as a cancelled R300 is trimmed.

The distinction of with/without tab seems to be a decent compromise though, especially for sets that usually have the tabs cut off.

SGC does odd things too, the Topps Allen and Ginter mini cards with autographs or bits of wood or cloth come enclosed in another full size card with windows in it. (And a hole so you can touch the cloth swatch )
SGC won't grade these as issued, they have to be removed from the outer card. Which makes nearly no sense whatsoever.

Steve B