View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Steve Birmingham

I was thinking about the gloves as I read this too.

The point about there being a deeper talent pool or not today doesn't make much sense to me. While there's not enough information to tell much many oldtime ballplayers played against latin and negro leage players while barnstorming or playing in the off season.

A player who played in the late 30's spoke to the club I'm in and mentioned the differences between the available players when he played compared to now. I think the numbers were something like 17,000 players in organized ball now and 175,000 then. So I think the competition for the available positions was pretty tough.

The point he was adressing is actually important here. That point was that guys with any weaknesses in their play had to be incredible at some aspect of the game to have any real chance, and that any player with a difficult attitude also had to be too good to release.
How much would Cobb be allowed to get away with today? I can only imagine the fine and suspension he'd get for beating a guy in a wheelchair today. Lifetime ban? Would he have even made the majors with attitudes that would be a PR nighmare?
How much would Ruths famous appetites be ignored?
Or those of the guys that supposedly had major drinking problems.

Rather than the athletic ability being the problem, I think some prewar guys would have a rough time adjusting to a more PC world.

The rest would probably be more than fine.

Steve B