View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Michael

I think there are very good points on both sides of this issue, and I like the fact that Leon is thinking about improving this forum through innovations such as new topic areas. The auction tracker for pre-war cards was a nice recent addition, for example.

That said, I side with those who said no. It is simply human nature that issues discussed in that forum will spill over into the core focus of this website and that will likely cause problems. After all, there are plenty of forums where all of us can discuss politics, religion or anything else for that matter.

This forum focuses on vintage baseball and it is probably the best on the web. I am not convinced that this forum needs to be all things to all people or that it makes sense to deviate from what it does so well right now. I think it should continue to do what it does and do it better than any other forum.

Is the reason for proposing this that the number of members is decreasing or the amount of posts is decreasing? If those are the issues, then I understand the desire among the moderators to make the site more sticky so people use it more often and contribute more. But I'm not convinced that bringing in issues that are inherently controversial, such as politics and religion, will solve those problems. I agree with those who argue that one of the best parts of this site is that it expressly doesn't do that already. It is an oasis from that.

That said, I like the democratic approach of a poll plus posting so that everyone can weigh in.

While I disagree with those who argue that it would be fine or at least not as problematic as the rest of us fear, I think they have made clear, cogent arguments for their position.