View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 07:39 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

The problem with the modern industry isn't that the cards are worthless, but rather that they are overpriced. The key reason we all have craploads of stuff from the 70's, 80's and 90's is that it was affordable...Yes, we wanted them, but parents were more than happy to give up some pocket change once or twice a week. Nowadays we're looking at $2-3 for the most undesirable sets out there. Am I gonna give my kid $3 for a random pack of cards while in line at the grocery store? Probably not. Maybe $5 for a team set, because then at least I know they're gonna get the players they like.

Back in the day there wasn't much financial advantage to collecting the current issues of any given year....Adults had the same chance of getting a desired card as a kid did. Hell, nowadays the hot card always seems to be some ridiculously overpriced junk that some dealer cracks and some lawyer in bumf*ck, nebraska ends up buying for a couple hundred thousand, while the kids rarely ever luck into them.***The key word there is luck***Back in the day the hot cards were the hot rookies or guys having great years, or just simply your favorite players. In 1990 if you wanted a Frank Thomas card, you just bought some packs and you "would" eventually get it. Yes, imagine a card industry where you could actually get what you wanted in packs.. As a kid, did I buy '87 Topps because I wanted a piece of George Washington's hair or a piece of Madonna's bra? No. I bought it because I liked guys like Bo Jackson, Wally Joyner, and Cory Snyder. Let the people pay for what they want and will get, rather than what they could possibly get. It's basically what's happened to the modern industry, and why the vintage stuff is still doing well, because we CAN get what we want eventually.

The card industry has basically turned into the lottery. Would every last person in this country like to win the lottery? Definitely. If so, then why only does a small percentage buy tickets? It's simple, When odds are so ridiculous, most people just don't bother trying, and look for something else to spend that buck on.

Last edited by novakjr; 01-11-2011 at 08:10 AM.