View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 08:29 AM
Dave H@rford

Default Williams Comments

I agree with Leon, Be Patient.

I was exactly where you are now about 15 years ago. I thought my Topps collection (sets from 1970 to 1994) was premiere, but then moved to pre-war/Ted Williams exclusively. I have a very large Ted Williams collection and can really only comment on that particular card.

The PSA 4 is a nice range card, that often sells in the $650-750 range depending on centering. A nice PSA 5 can be had for about $1000 with patience. Centering and gum stains are what keep the grades lower on this card. As Leon stated, this card has done very "little" for investment purposes. Actually, if you had bought a PSA 3 or 4 in 2003-2006, you would be behind on your investment (at one point, I paid $550 for a nice centered PSA 3 that I probably would not get my money back out of in the current market environment).

I also agree with Frank in looking for an R303-A Williams instead, but have to warn you when Frank says scarcer, he means it. I have only seen about 5 for sale in the last decade, 1 graded, and the last 2 raw (in the SGC 2+ range) sold over the past 4 years, I was the underbidder on these in the $950-1250 range.

Frank, if you have a line on a spare R303-A let me know.

Welcome to the Net
Dave H