View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
A quick note on Jimmy Piersall.

I promoted shows in suburban Chicago back in the 80's and 90's and since Piersall lived close by I had him signing at a card show one weekend. Piersall had everyone laughing as he was telling stories about his past and about some of the players that he knew and played with. A young girl, about 16 years old came up to him and said she loved playing baseball and softball and asked if he had any advice for her. Piersall looked directly into her eyes and said, "yeah I have advice...stay outta back seats." He signed her autograph, laughed hysterically as she walked away while the rest of us were just stunned that he would say something like that!! I still shake my head at that memory!
As you did Ted, I find this moment to be reprehensible. I have two teenage daughters. If he would have made that remark to one of my girls, I would have laid into him hard.

This action reminds me of two memories in my past. I went to Penn State and played a lot of pick-up basketball with some football players. When talk would turn to Joe Paterno, I remember one player telling me this. Joe told them that whenever a person stops to talk or ask you for an autograph, stop and be very cordial. To you it may not be a big deal. To them, it may be the biggest deal that he or she could ever want. Piersall should have heard this.

Also, I had the pleasure of talking with Kenny Stabler at the Chantilly show. He stopped, saw my name tag and addressed me by name and chatted with me for 10-15 minutes. The next time he came to Chantilly, I went up to him and told him the story and thanked him for being so nice. The Snake grabbed my arm and, in his southern drawl, said, "It isn't difficult to be nice." Jimmy Piersall should have done the same.

I am sad to hear the Piersall story because so many other people have been wonderful. Brooks Robinson, Stan Musial and others come to mind. These are the people that I will recall in my memories.

Cy